AIO limiting charge/discharge

My AIO system occasionally fails to complete its overnight charge, getting to around 90%. It will then refuse to discharge above about 620W, or to take more charge from the solar panels or its daytime top-up (Octopus Cosy). Resets don’t affect this, but the problem eventually (around 24h) clears and normal behaviour resumes. Anyone else seeing this?

Hi,

I have just had my new system installed about 2 weeks ago and tried scheduled force charge for first time.
It seems to limit at 500W import constantly and did the same again the next night.
Very strange, not sure if anyone has seen this also?
Antony

Sorry to ask the obvious question - have you checked that the battery charge rate hasn’t been set to 500W? The charging rate also slows when the battery is close to capacity, but only in the high 90%s.

Not sure if you’re still experiencing this, but I’ve also seen this occur with my AIO six times so far.

Usually lasted for around 14-16 hours, however the last occurance lasted 4 days. It would start partially through my over night charge from grid (Octopus Go) and then refuse to take any charge and only ever output at most ~600W.

I had reached out to Giv via their support number and subsequently over email and after a few attempts they seem to have done something that has so far worked. I haven’t had a recurrance of this issue since May 11.

Last time this happened I spoke to Giv. They blamed it on the automation I had been using for months to get two charge periods. They also started a recalibration that had no effect on the discharge rate and, according to the notifications, is still going. They set up two charge periods, but the first seems to be ignored so I have been charging manually. On the other hand, I haven’t seen the failure since.

Spoke too soon. Tuesday night charge stopped at 98%, battery alarm sounding by the morning. Cleared that but it sulked all day. Fault cleared some time in the small hours, as usual, so last night’s charge OK and running normally this morning.

Interestingly I never had any alarm when this occurred for me.

This is what has confused myself and Giv Support when discussing it as there is outwardly no sign of any issue or any sign of a hardware fault. No changes when it starts happening (warnings / fluctuations on power or anything) nor when it resolves.

I would guess an alarm may be a symptom of something else (or at least not the same issue I was encountering)

First time I have had an alarm to go with the behaviour, so it may be getting more obvious. The problem was that the fault was largely masked by the solar output during the day and reset overnight, so hard to show GE anything this time.

I’ve had success “detecting” occurances in the data (via API) occuring by assuming it’s happening whenever there is excess solar (Solar genreation is > 110% of the load to account for conversion losses / data lag) and the battery is not charging, or where the expected overnight charge hasn’t been reached and the battery is not charging. I consider it “resolved” as soon as the battery is seen to be charging.

(the last occurance there was a config error after some overnight automation testing)

Was there anything in the “notifications” section of the inverter view in the dashboard for the alarm this morning?

Nice graphs. I can see the battery state on my Home assistant dashboard and the problem was obvious to me, but not easy to explain to GE first line tech support.

Just looked at the portal logs for 19/6. Battery voltage low warning at 06:11 which would have been when the charging reached 98%. Battery data shows a drop from 321.15 to 99.57, and then to 0 as it cut off. Reset at 09:07, when the battery voltage was 320.4. Thanks for the suggestion - it’s something I can take to GE.

Called GE, who pushed the issue back to second line support. They decided an engineer visit was needed. Meanwhile the charging and discharge rate were limiting every day, and then the battery stopped charging completely. I took it offline when the charge dropped below the programmable reserve and reached 5%. Now waiting for an appointment to be scheduled - doesn’t sound as if it will be soon. Not having the battery costs £2 to £4 per day, depending on the weather, so I’m not too happy.

Engineer turned up today (after a bit of encouragement from me to GE to assign someone). He had been told that there was an (intermittent) battery temperature sensor fault on battery pack 2. The batteries are a matched set so he replaced them all. Currently on the charging leg of a calibration cycle - fingers crossed that the problem is now fixed, although it will be a few months before I can be confident it is gone. My guess is that I had a dodgy cell that sometimes overheated on a charge.