CT Clamp using RS485 to Ethernet

Hi,

My Givenergy 5.2kw battery and inverter have been installed in my rear garage 30 metres away from my consumer box. The initial CT clamp was wired in using some exiting telephone cables I already had installed from the house to the rear garage. However this cable is now malfunctioning.

Would I would like to consider is replacing 30+Metres of cable with a RS485 to Ethernet converter making the system look like:

Battery (garage) → RS485 Converter → Ethernet Hub → RS485 Converter → CT Clamp (house)

I’ve read on various forums that this is possible but wanted to know if anyone had experience with this setup using a Givenergy battery? Or indeed a viable alternative?

You might be better just replacing the old twisted pairs with shielded cat5e (or better) cable. Our installer used this for a modbus run from our gateway to the EV charger that runs in parallel with the power cable. I believe that 2 pairs were used with a single colour for each connection (i.e blue + blue/white and orange + orange/white). It’s been a long time since I studied physics, but I believe this should further reduce interference. If in any doubt, might be best to consult with the installer, but you could run the cable yourself and let them hook it up, assuming they are ok with that.