EV Charger not using solar only

I have recently had an GivEnergy 7 kW EV charger installed, works fine on overnight charging from the grid but now as the sun is shinning I wanted to use the solar charging option. The advertising blurb states “Charge your vehicle from excess solar generation” but it’s not working as I expect. The last time I tried my batteries were at 100%, the solar PV was generating 3.2kWh but when I plugged in my electric vehicle the system was showing that it was pulling 3.56 kWh from the grid. I cannot find anything online on how to ‘adjust’ the EV Charger settings so perhaps I am missing something, perhaps Max Charging Current or Max Charge Energy? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated, my system is a GivEnergy Gen 2 5.0kW Hybrid Inverter, a 9.5kWh battery, a 5.2kWh battery and 12 Vertex 435 panels.

I’ve found the same, that charging in Solar mode usually includes a bit of Hybrid i.e. grid charging. I haven’t found any helpful documentation, but what I tend to do is keep an eye on what’s going on, & when PV drops & grid charging starts, I reduce the Max Charge Current setting until the car’s happy on solar alone. Max Charge Energy I’ve set to my EV’s battery size.

It’s not ideal, certainly not “set & forget”, but so far it works for me. Hopefully software updates will improve things some time.

Thanks for the response, it’s nice to know you’re not the only one!
I’ll try altering the Max Charge settings and see what happens, I’ll update when something has been achieved.

Just to let everybody know that ‘adjusting’ the Max Charge Current setting achieved the desired result of EV charging from solar PV alone.
It would be nice to know how each setting affects other settings, is there an online manual out there ?

If there is, I’d very much like to know! Givenergy Manual - there’s an oxymoron for you. :slightly_frowning_face:

So literally just had my Givenergy system installed 20 May, two solar arrays via a fronius 5kw inverter (2011) and a Solis 6kw inverter 2024 ( 30 panels 14kwh total) to a Givenergy ac couple inverter and 2 x 9.5 kwh batteries. Also had a Givenergy EV charger installed. All seems to work ok except the EV charger. First of all it would not charge above 1.4kw even though I was exporting 5kw to grid. Setting was set to SOLAR only so expecting only to use excess solar over 1.4k so basically free energy.

Installation Engineer rang Givenergy and there was a setting at their end needing a change ( no info on what it was ). so this worked while there was plenty of Solar excess. However next day it started charging car from grid at 8.05am whilst still set on SOLAR. I did have is set on scheduled charge between 8 - 16:00 mon - fri expecting it to only charge when solar reached 1.4kw +. No sun at the time so little solar 1kwhonly. Did same thing today so not a “freak glitch”. turned off schedule on EV charger.

As mentioned above no user manual documentation available. They are working on it.

Anyone with any knowledge of why the EV charges from the grid when set to SOLAR

PS I have MG5 with no scheduled charging set on the MG APP, obviously I could manually charge the car when I have excess solar and probably will, but I was hoping this would be automatic via the settings.

Update on “GiveNone EV Charger :wink:”, still not getting this EV charger to work as it should.

Excess Solar today 2.66kw + trying to start the EV charger but no go.

Battery is at 85% and still charging as its in ECO mode.

If I use the start charging button in the APP its “rejected” and just keeps charging the battery. I have the slider set to 100% EV 0% battery but makes no difference.

Tried turning of ECO mod from inverter in cloud. Battery stops charging and everything goes to GRID !!! but nothing to EV.
Starting “charging in APP” just spins and then message “cannot get information from ev charger” or something similar , disappeared to quickly, Using RFID on EV charger does nothing…

It will be interesting when the battery gets to 100% to see if it will start charging my car or just send the excess to the grid.

Getting a tad frustrated.

Have you tried adjusting the Max Charge Current setting? To stop mine charging from the grid on Solar I have to turn this down until it’s happy. Not ideal, really!

Hi Typo, mine seems to reset itself from 32am down to 6am all on its own every time I put it back to 32amp. I had 5+kwh excess at the time. Today had to reset the EV charger before it would go to full 32amp on “plug and go” and stay there, eventually managed to get 1hrs charge into car. managed my trip with 10% left in car. Trying again with scheduled charge overnight to see if it maintains 32amp and not drop to 6 again. fingers crossed. So inconsistent that you cannot trust it to charge without manual intervention. Shame the rest of my Givenergy solar / battery works well. Wife may have to resort to Disco3 if it does not charge tonight. Thanks for the input and best of luck with yours…

I have the same issue. The EV charger from givenergy does not work in Solar mode. Adjusting the max charge current is a crude cludge. The moment the sun goes in energy is pulled from the grid!

When weill there be a fix for this?

One thing to note is that my installer wired the EV charger directly to the consumer unit and not at on the terminals in the all in one. Apparently give energy tech support said this did not matter.

I have the same problem. Has anyone tried changing the Charger configuration mode to see if that makes a difference?

I just had a new installation with givenergy solar, a 9.5 battery and EV charger. Also facing the same issues as others here: EV on solar only mode but will take from the grid. I also temporarily turned down the max A to limit it, but obviously not ideal.

As I write this, my solar is generating 1.52kw, my car is charging at 1.4kw and I only have 184W coming from the battery and yet 433W coming from the grid!

@Andrew.Poole @jayrton @jocopa - turn off Plug & Go if you’re in Inverter Control and want to charge from Solar. Plug in your EV and Inverter Control will automatically send a charge to the car if you’re generating excess solar. We’re working on a fix to automate switching off Plug & Go when in Inverter Control AND solar mode as part of a wider new EVC app release.

2 Likes

OK so an update , after many different options and my installer and Givenergy trying various things.

For at least 8hrs it actually worked on SOLAR , my system was generating about 8-9kw solar and the givenergy inverter and EV charger/car were just charging from solar, the Power 32 AMP slider on the app was amending dynamically as solar dropped due to clouds but remained just using solar. I was so excited !!, 66 and getting excited over charging my car OMG getting senile.

Unfortunately next day it reverted to usual drawing on battery ,grid and solar mixed when running in SOLAR mode. Overnight Scheduling has also stopped working !! tried in Hybrid and Grid modes. May be resorting to granny cable and my MG app at this rate if I’m desperate to get charged.

So installer is coming out to to fit another meter or cable clamp to EV charger as this will “help”?.
I will keep you posted. Needless to say my Installer DES LTD has been very supporting and helpful despite my incessant harassment.

1 Like