Givenergy EV charger and Virgin wifi not working

We just had a Givenergy charger installed but it refuses to properly connect to the Virgin media hub. Even connecting through different access points (wired into the Virgin hub) does not work. Temporary connecting through a mobile hotspot works just fine.
Givenergy says its Virgin’s fault and are working on a firmware update, but of course have no idea when ready. They suggest to call Virgin and fiddle with some settings to get it working, however they have no clue about what settings or what to ask Virgin for. I asked if wiring into the network rather than go wireless would solve the problem, but Givenergy didn’t know.

Anyway, my questions is whether anyone else has had this problem with Virgin and how they solved it

Hi John

I had a similar issue when trying to connect my Givenergy inverters to the wifi. It would work with a mobile hotspot but not directly to the wifi. It turned out the issue was that my wifi password contained $ which is unacceptable in some versions of wifi

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the suggestion, the password is pretty simple, no ‘special’ symbols.
I should have mentioned that it looks like the EV charger can connect to a certain level, it connects, gets an IP address, but is unable to get online which suggests there must be some port blocked on Virgin’s side.
Givenergy doesn’t know what is going on specifically, despite claiming to work on an firmware update, which sorta suggests they would know…

If you haven’t already, you could try asking on the Facebook GivEnergy Battery and EVC Owners page. They are certainly a very proactive group and usually quick to respond.
Good luck

Cheers Mark, I’ve joined the group.

For people having the same connectivity issues with Virgin and the EV charger, linking the EV charger to the AP of your inverter did the trick. I would treat it as a temporary thing until a permanent fix from GE or Virgin becomes available.

Hi John hard wiring the invertor to the router will solve the problem I had to do this with mine when Vodafone stopped allowing the bandwidth to be split on my routers

Morning, I was wondering if bluetooth could be explored as a method of connection instead of wifi.

not sure, unlikely to work would be my guess. There has been a firmware udate that might have solved the Virgin incompatibility. I have been to lazy to try it myself :)