Grid import at unusual times

Hi All

I’ve recently got an AIO installed, alongside 4.8kWp solar. I’ve noticed that when the battery is charging from solar, I am also importing a handful of watts from the grid. It seems to follow the peak of the sun.

When the battery is discharging, there’s zero import (unless I go nuts and switch everything on!).

Why is this? Any help much appreciated!

Ed

If we look at our energy monitor there seems to be a tiny balancing charge, either in or out, throughout the day and just put this down to the monitoring tolerances. The amounts are frankly so small they make no real difference in our opinion.

For info, same system as yours but two batteries.

Thanks Gilbey. The amounts are miniscule, but it does seem odd - I’m sure there’s a good technical reason for it, but it makes me wonder what would happen if there were an extended power cut - would we be able to extend our off-grid time with some solar charge? To have a dependence on the grid during solar generation periods seems a bit…odd.

Regards
Ed

Agreed its a bit peculiar, it works so I go with the flow, (whichever direction it’s in!)

If we have a power cut our solar still runs and charges the batteries, flick the mains switch and test it.