Hot Water

Is there a way to control hot water via the portal or the app

I have a hot water tank with an immersion heater want to be able to schedule it

1 Like

I have my top water tank element on a timer to top up on IOG overnight. We only need a small amount of water for washing up. I have the lower element controlled by a separate wifi controlled switch to use when we need a full tank. That can be programmed. Both are made by Timeguard an English company and are reliable.

1 Like

You might need an Eddi emmersion control or an iBoost.

1 Like

Got an iBoost but not the Buddy, so it’s a faff to program

I was also thinking about being really basic in this… Rather than using the “Boost” button on the iBoost I thought about doing a forced discharge from the batteries at about 2.5KW that way the iBoost would pick it up and start heating the water… I would then have another monitor looking at what is actually being “Exported” to grid via my meter, so I once the amount being actually being exported jumps above 2KW then I know the water is hot - and then stop the battery discharge.

But the reality it that I am too lazy to figure out the logic for this and 99% of the time my batteries get full and then my hot water heats up…

1 Like

Now I just wrote this… perhaps I should just drop my battery charge value to 40/50% and then monitor my live export to grid…

So if my export to grid goes above 1KW then increase my battery charge to 100% ?

Thats quite simple logic.

1 Like

I’m looking at getting one of these to control when my HW will draw

Then set the iBoost offset so that the Givenergy export takes priority

And set the boost period to cover when Agile prices are lowest

1 Like

HI, been thinking about this .
Ive not used the smart plug yet so unfamiliar with its functionality in the GIv app/portal.
Be nice to have a relay/smart switch that could handle an immersion load.
I’m just wondering if theres a way to use the smart plug to trigger a 20A relay ?
cheers

The one above can handle 32A but a 16A should be ok

1 Like

Thanks , I was wondering how IT could be intergrated with the GIv portal/smart plug setup, if at all ?

Hi , via discussion on an FB group a possible solution is to Use a GIv smart plug to switch a contactor in series with the immersion thus using the smart plug in app functions for timed on, off.
Smart plug in socket , fused plug in smart plug , flex into din rail box triggering 20A contactor wire to immersion

1 Like

That’s an idea, but would a 13A plug be OK with that kind of load?

I’ve gone ahead and ordered the Tough Leads unit above. They’ve done me a 16A version for £50.

1 Like

the plug is just used to feed power for switching the contactor relay , via terminal A ,
the actual immersion load runs through the 20A terminals on the contactor

such as 20 Amp 2 Pole Contactor - 1 Module | MK_Sentry (H6220S) (tlc-direct.co.uk)

1 Like