Inverter install best practice

Are there guiddlines/instructions on how an inverter should be configured during the original install?

The reason for asking is that I was concerned to discover that the inverter has an easily guessed username and password. It is poor practice to install any smart equipment without making it secure.

Yeah Google GivEnergy kB dongle

That’ll find the relevant article on their KB site.

And yes installers are supposed to secure it.

Hi TX200, thanks for the pointer to that article. Interesting. By the way, do you know why the dongle is left with its local wifi broadcasting?

Cheers
John

Not sure.

But hiding a WiFi ssid wouldn’t stop clever people from being able to find the WiFi anyway.

Certainly think they need to be secure by default, but hiding the SSID won’t do much for security.

Correct. thats why the EVC and next dongle version turn their local hotspot Off once not in use.
Dongle Hotspot on the new WiFi 6 Dongle is switchable, so you can use it as a repeater, or turn it off

What’s worse is the LAN setup. I noticed that when inverters are set up to work on LAN, the WiFi hotspot is still active and can be used to access the home network. Not only that, the WiFi has no security by default. This means that many systems set up in LAN will be wide open for any hackers driving past and snooping.

I contacted Givenergy support, they told me the WiFi disables when the dip switches are set for LAN. I told them that I was stood next to a system and that was incorrect. After a lot of back and forth they said they would look into it. A few days later an item appeared on the knowledge base saying installers should set up security for the WiFi when using LAN. This is still reliant on installers finding this document and following the instructions.

Are there any updates on this? This isn’t really a satisfactory solution. Why aren’t the integrated wifi modules respecting the clearly labelled DIP switches?

I note that there is an update option in the wifi UART web interface under: Device Management > Update Firmware, that would allow us to upload firmware files to update them. Is this something being worked on? I have secured these unwanted networks but they still create very undesirable interference on the wifi spectrum.