Ohme Pro EV Charger

New installation,

I have an Ohme Pro EV charger(already installed), when the car starts to charge(00:00 - 05:00) it discharged the battery, 3.6KW from battery rest from the Grid, it would just drain the battery completely if left. Assume 3,6 is max discharge from the inverter.

I want to charge the car from the Grid, no point forcing a complete battery drain, puts unnecessary charge/discharge cycles on the battery.

I enable battery charge at the same time as the car was charging but thats a poor solution, it charges the battery to 100% and then its takes the 7.4kw from the grid.

The battery will charge whats it discharged overnight during the day so really dont want to start the day with a full battery when the panels will replenish any house discharged energy at night.

I guess I need to prevent the Ohme EV Charger discharging from the battery.

Anyone else with this issue?

One way would be to configure a charge limit of, say, 20%, on an overnight timed charge. This will inhibit the battery from discharging, but won’t actually charge the battery - it should just idle. Could also use the timed-discharge feature to only discharge battery between 05:00 and 00:00, and idle while the car is charging.

(Both these do mean the house is running from grid overnight, but you’re probably on a tariff with cheap overnight rates.)

Hi,

Thanks for the quick response, I tried charge limit but set that to 100%, your 20% limit seems to be better logic. I will try that. I was also clicking around the inverter settings and found the timed-discharge feature. I initially assume that that was linked or similar to timed_export naming could be better but the help sentence clarified.

Yes agree both will cause the house to run on grid but as you guessed its the low cost tariff.
I have set up the timed discharge as I think that will give me full 7.3kw to the car from the grid. See how that goes.

I will update so anyone else reading with the same issue can benefit

Sure i am not the only one to have this issue.

the ohme charger is wired to the consumer panel or the inverter current clamp is near to the Meter, if you do not want the inverter to see the car charger then it must be on a cct that is not monitored by the inverter.

Thanks,

Setting the inverter to Timed_Discharge 5:00 to 00:00 prevented the charger discharging the battery which is what I wanted. Not the perfect solution as the house is running on grid but its low consumption and on a low cost tariff. So a win.

The Ohme charger will “estimate” the charge time, which didnt match the car estimate. But can adjust the Timed_Discharge when the car is charged not every night so not a massive over head in time and effort.

The Charger is connected the consumer unit with the inverter so will be monitored by the inverter.

Questions,

I assume that the charger needs to be on a separate feed so on its own consumer unit to prevent the inverter monitoring that feed?

Whats the best solution here, so i can approach the installation guys?

Requirements,

7.4KW to the car to make best use of the cheap electric.
3.6KW to the GivEngergy battery when solar generation is low to store cheap electric.
Total draw 00:00 - 05:00 could be 7.4KW(32amps +3.6KW(16amp) = 11KW (48amps)

Is this possible with a 100amp fuse? Assume so

Would also be nice to dump excess solar to the car rather that sell but chances are the car will be away from home and not expecting to have an excess of solar during the winter months.

The GivEnergy EV charger? with the current setup, one consumer unit will that allow 7.4 to the car and 3.6 to the battery + have the flexibility of the dumping excess solar energy to the car.

My worry is the that inverter is rated at 3.6kw so not going to get the full 7.4kw to the charger when the batteries GivEnergy batteries are charging.

Could it be cheaper and less disruptive to replace the Ohme charger for the GivEnergy charger. Will that allow the 11Kw draw as I desire? I assume the charger will be linked to the inverter rather that the consumer unit.

Sell the Ohme charger as not that old and hardly used.

Sorry lots of question and long wish list?