Prevent battery from discharging to E.V

Having finally gotten the octopus tariff setup and octopus controlling the charging, I’m finding that the charging starts and stops, and every time the toggle to prevent discharging the AIO to the e.v. has been reset (switched off). Is there any way to prevent this from happening so that I can start the day with a full AIO battery?

1 Like

I think it maybe down to where your CT clamps are located. I recently had to change mine so that my GivEnergy battery did not discharge when I was charging my EV. The battery runs the house!

I think this is a bug in the app. Try going to the online dashboard and setting discharge to the car at 1W.

I’ve got 4 CT clamps in the gateway, three on top, and one below. The one below is attached to the to the meter (gem120ctm) next to the EVC breaker which is connected to breaker F, with the arrow pointing to the breaker. The reading (980kWh) looks suspiciously similar to the grid meter (973kWh). Should that CT clamp be monitoring breaker C - the EV load wire (pointing away from the breaker), on breaker A - the AIO, or something else entirely?
I believe the EVC is hooked up via modbus to the top of breaker C.

Thinking more about this, I’m currently on configuration D for the EVC, and if I’m reading the installation manual correctly that requires a compatible PV inverter - so perhaps that needs to be flipped to config C instead as it’s a Solus inverter that’s not hooked up via modbus.

Edit: where are my manners? thanks to @Willduo and @vnkr for responding :grin:

Did you mean Amps, or the max charging power in a session?

I’ve got the tee shirt on this this!
There is currently no way to stop your battery from discharging to your EV.
The ONLY way to prevent this is to turn off smart charging using the Octopus App.
Once your car is registered with Intelligent Go they don’t care if you don’t use thier software
Turn off any ‘smart charging’ on your charger
This now makes your so called smart charging system.
Only use the timer built into your car to set the charge from 11.30pm to 5.30am

There isn’t any car charger on the market that Octopus allows you to use (intlligernt Go) that takes into account batteries.

My sytem;
2 x A/c coupled inverters
4 x 9.5 batteries
1 X EMS.
1 x Zappy EV charger

On the very rare occasions that I need a boost to the car, i’ll take 20/25kw from the house batteries.

Depending on the system and the house wiring it might be possible.

For example if the GivEnergy mains CT clamp is around the tails that goes to the house consumer board.

The home battery will never know the car is charging.

Then the EV charger is connected to a different set of tails which isn’t monitored by that CT clamp (e.g. split via a Henley block).

The EV charger probably has its own CT clamp that can monitor the entire electricity usage - and can detect excess solar being exported.