SmartPlugs - how to use

Hi,

Looking at buying into the GivEnergy ecosystem with 9.5kwh battery and gen3 3.5kw hybrid inverter linked to 8 x 435w panels.

To see what GivEnergy software control was like I’ve purchased a SmartPlug with a view to monitoring usage from certain devices.

What I’ve not been able to figure out is:

1. I can’t get the device into the GivEnergy cloud portal. Supporting documentation seems to be absent so I can’t tell if it is possible. I tried the GivEnergy support phone line and gave up after 15 min wait.

2. There doesn’t seem to be any way of clearing any existing stats from the Smart Plug when I move the plug to monitor something else other than deleting the plug and start again - being honest I’ve done the reset several times and the re-onboarding process of the SmartPlug has never worked on the 1st or 2nd go which partially puts me off GivEnery devices if they can’t get this onboarding correct.

I was sent an Octopus HomeMini the other week and this connected first go.

Any advice greatfully received.

Thanks

I have a very similar problem. I have investigated the WiFi channels. My home, inverter etc. are using channel 1 and the Smart Plug seems to be stuck on channel 6. The instructions supplied bear no relation to the GivEnergy app. I would really like to know how to factory reset the plug so I can try from scratch.

Smart plugs only show in the app and not the portal for some reason, I think they are looking to add it to the portal in the future but I don’t think it’s high on their priority list.

Yeah the onboarding process is very poor with the plugs.
I’ve found that I can never set them up via my iPhone but I can via my iPad for some reason :man_shrugging:t4: but it still takes a few goes.
Once setup they have worked as expected.