State of Charge SOC suddenly dropping in minutes

For the third time I have had a state of charge SOC drop by 30-40% in around 30 minutes when load was only a few hundred watts.

Support advised to run a low discharge rate calibration cycle which was done a couple of weeks back - but this did not fix problem. Today there was a 48% drop in 35 minutes.

What is happening to apparently lose half the capacity of a 9.5kWH battery.

Is this a faulty battery that needs replacing or is there another explanation?

If its like my hybrid and smaller battery, I understand there is some difficulty keeping track of the SOC [state of charge]. At some point the measurements (probably voltage) kick off some recalculation, and it realizes that the SOC isn’t what it was, and it looks like energy has been lost. I hope [live in] that there will one day be an update to improve the Gen1 software.

Others may have a better explanation.

mine dropped loads of times rang givenegry just give you BS,
i just set battery not to drop below 50% works for now.

We had this problem on several occasions. After several re- calibrations and a software update the problem remained. Givenergy engineer came Wed , removed battery cover, tightened various nuts ( which are known to sometimes come loose in transport from factory) and hey presto we now have a fully functional 9.5 kwh battery which charges and discharges to full capacity.

I can confirm I had this problem too. It’s not that the battery is suddely disharging - the energy has to go somewhere. It is more that the reading is false ie 70% SOC is actually 20% so when the system realises this it resets to 20%. I suppose you could compare this to a car with a faulty fuel guage. I too has an engineer visit and tightening up the battery connectors seems to have cured the problem.