Unexplained grid power outages

I have had 3 occasions when grid power to my house has failed.

1. 26/6/23 16:11pm
  2. 27/7/23 19:13pm
  3. 10/8/23 05:48am

With each event I contacted National Grid ( formerly known as Western Power) and they have assured me there was no power outage or momentary glitch to my property which would cause power lost to the house.

I found the only way to restore power, to the house, was to switch the isolation switch, in the meter box, to off then back on again which gives the impression that the house must first be isolated from the smart meter before it returns to normal function. By the way ‘one’ would expect switching the consumer unit main switch off and on would have the same effect but it doesn’t, the only thing that works is the isolation switch in the meter box. I can only assume that my first generation smart meter has developed an intermittent fault or it’s receiving some sort of instruction from the GivEnergy products not to put power through to the house. NOTE, no trip switches were activated and the last event happened, in the early morning when we were still asleep and the whole household power consumption would have only been approximately 200 - 300watts. I’ve just reported this to Octopus Energy but beginning to wonder if my GivEnergy 5Kw hybrid gen 2 inverter and 2x 9.5Kw batteries are causing the problem. Does anyone else have a similar issue?

Hi Malcolm, Just so you know - these wider forums are not live yet - so only the Beta users have access, support don’t yet monitor them.

Suspect you are best off speaking to your installer and/or phoning or emailing support and/or posting on one of the facebook pages - depending on your preference.

Rob

Malcom, Givenergy products do not communicate with the smart meter in any way or form, what can be seen on the 10/08/2023 you registered an error Electricity Meter Com Fail 2023-08-10 05:48:48,

as can be seen on your data for that period despite the national grid saying there wasn’t an issue there was between 05:38 and 05:58 you lost voltage on the grid which caused the inverter to shutdown.

Thanks for the info and clarification.

I’ve now had my Givenergy installation checked and it’s been found that there is an intermittent fault with an isolation switch that sits alongside the smart meter in the meter box. And our DNO (Western Power) say I need to pay them to replace it although they have their seals on it. That’s a cheeky of them, as it’s a captive market when their seals on the isolation switch.

talk to your energy supplier, they might do it for nothing, The DNO is responsible up to the meter only.

Yes thanks for the advice, Have spoken to Octopus Energy this morning and it looks like they will replace FOC.and have raise a fault docket for an engineer to visit. I await with anticipation.

1 Like

Glad that we could be of assistance

1 Like