Caution when considering 3 phase inverter sizing

I have a had a 3 phase 11Kw inverter for a few months now. I also have 2 EV chargers (neither GE) - a single phase 7.2Kw and a 3 phase 24Kw (although the current EV can only accept 11Kw). House obviously has a 3 phase supply.

I could never work out why if I charge using the 3Ph EV charger then the inverter was happy to supply the demand (all 11Kw) but if I used the1Ph EV charger then it would only supply 3.6Kw with the rest coming from the grid.

The penny dropped this morning. I think the 3Ph inverter is capped at 1/3 of the overall capacity per phase - ie 3.6Kw in may case.

I’ve asked GE support to confirm but I’m pretty sure this is what is going on.

So a word of warning for those thinking of going the 3Ph route with EV - you will need a 3Ph EV charger as well if you want to avoid grid usage!

1 Like

Most of the 3 phase inverters does not supply unbalanced loads, meaninig their output will be the same on all phases simultaneously. Having a 11kW inverter you’ll have 11/3 kW on a single phase.

Presumably the GE 3-phase inverter does not support unbalanced output, unlike the Solax X3-Hybrid G4.

Even then it looks like a single phase can only go up to 50% of the nominal 3-phase output, so 11 kW inverter can provide up to 5.5 kW on a single phase.

Not sure how many other 3-phase inverters cater for an unbalanced load.

Update…

So it seems there is a setting available to GE to cater for unbalanced loads. Support tweaked it and it now works a treat!

That’s great, good to know

Did GE Support provide any indication of the maximum power on a single phase, or have you found it by experimentation whilst charging your EV on a single phase?

the EV was charging at 7Kw of which the inverter was providing 3.4Kw and the rest was coming from the grid. As the inverter is 11Kw it was 1/3.

Now GE have tweaked the setting I can charge the EV at 7.2Kw single phase (plus other background domestic load). I can also charge at 11Kw with the 3 phase EV charger again all fulfilled by the inverter (but it empties my batteries pretty quickly!)

1 Like