GivEVC beta testers needed

Hi All, I’ve been working on getting GivTCP updated to work with the soon to be released EV Charger.
I have a dev version ready for testing. It implements monitoring and control all locally over modbus.

Download the latest dev version of the HA Addon or Docker image (2.3.113).

Simple instructions are at the bottom of the readme at: GitHub - britkat1980/giv_tcp: TCP connection (from inverter) and MQTT implementation

If you have one of the EVCs please give it a go and let me know how you get on.

1 Like

Hi Mark, happy to give this a go.

1 Like

Perfect let me know how you get on and how the controls work in practice. With limited PV generation this week I can’t project hybrid or solar modes work, but the logic seems to hold up

Not quite sure I understand how you are managing the modes, are you simply changing the mode within the charger, or have you synthesized the logic to run the code locally within GivTCP? My app is a temporarily a bit broken, but I don’t see the mode changing on the portal when I change through GivEVC. Equally the changes aren’t reflected in GivEVC if I change mode in the portal.

All the read features seemed to work ok last night.

One small addition would be a switch to turn the lights on/off

Edit, properly read the GitHub page and I see you say it ‘mimics’ the modes Presumably the disadvantage is it will only operate at the ‘self run timer’ rate, rather than the EM115. See default is set to 5 seconds, is this level of refresh ok on the charger ? (as 15s is recommended on the inverter)

Edit2… Trying to change modes seems to lock up changing any of the other slider or switch settings.

The modbus registers don’t hold any “mode” info, its not controlled that way. I don’t know if the OCPP control (which cloud uses) actually sets anything internally?
So the GivEVC implementation does it locally. It only does the check once a minute to modify the charge limit, as I’m sure I read somewhere that there is a limit on how frequently you should change the limit to prolong life of the charger, but perhaps @TheDragon_Giv can clarify?

Did you get any errors in the log, regarding the other controls locking up?

The changing rate doesnt affect the charger.
Allnot does is sent the limit current command via the CP wire to the car connected. Telling it the limits

OK, so I could do it at the 5s interval and there’s no implications on the hardware? That’s easier (and better resolution of load tracking)

1 Like

Looks like there’s something in the code which is hanging the control code… I’m seeing the same thing now. I’ll look into over the weekend and see if I can find out what it is!

1 Like

I did turn debug on, but TBH, not sure what I’m looking for. I can provide logs if needed, but looks like you can repeat it.

Really confusing thing for me is there is no way to check what commands are live. On the inverter, we could refresh the register, but no option on the portal for EV charger. So no single source of truth.

I imagine this would need something implementing on the Giv side to command a refresh of stale values.

At the moment, I’m favouring Olivers method of changing modes via the API, just to see consistent data (obviously not local control though)

Fine, if it was doing it directly in firmware, the value changes upto 10x a second

Version 2.3.115 has a fix for the hanging control after changing Charging Mode. Code got stuck in an infinite loop! All fixed now,so if you can have another go @Matt_P that’d be grand

1 Like

Thanks Mark, saw another oddity since installing. Although I also updated to Supervisor 10.1 and OS 11.1 at similar times.

Whenever I restart HA, it puts a big spike on the data. It’s on many graphs.(Inc soc), but first spotted it on export

Edit… Does indeed seem to be HA related. Just reverted to 2.3.3 and rebooted. Still got the spikes :pensive:

Edit 2… tried switching modes and settings, and no stuck loops. Was able to change all settings, so fix looks good. Car wasn’t plugged in, so can’t 100% confirm function yet.

@Matt_P , I’ve seen the modbus port hang on the charger a few times overnight. Still online and pingable, but port 502 not responding. Have you seen the same? I want to see if it’s my install or a problem with my code…

How would I check?

In the log you would see a load of error messages saying the connection to the charger failed

I don’t think I have any of those, just in info mode. Today’s log since midnight

Version 2.3.151 is up and is the stable release that should be ready for main. If you could check that everything works as it should.

Hi Mark, thanks for all your hard work on this. Couple of questions/observations

1. I see a new slider called Import Cap. I assume this is to set the DNO fuse size, if so should that be an installer setting and not accidentally changeable within GivEVC? I notice it is tucked away in portal ( not in the app) for native Giv control. I’d be inclined to remove it as it’s a one time setting.

2. Max charge energy toggle switch seems to have disappeared.

Haven’t fully tested the write commands (or modes) yet, as have charge in progress, but sliders (to change charging amps) seem to be working ok.

Thanks Matt.

Import Cap is not a mandatory control and as such I don’t think needs to be an installer/one time setting. Most chargers don’t do this type of monitoring, so allowing the user to modify charge current based on grid import can be used for other use cases.

Max Session Energy is handled by the soldier. If its 0 then its disabled, if its any other figure then it will be active

1 Like