Wired LAN Connectivity - how many connections needed?

Hello - I am very excited to be having a GivEnergy AIO / Gateway and EV Charger installed to complement by solar. The installer started on Friday and coming back on Monday to finish the job… I said I preferred to use a Wired LAN connection rather than WiFi and would run Cat 6 out to the install over the weekend.

What I am now wondering is if I need to run 1, 2 or 3 connections. Having read the install manuals… I think I need just a single cable to the Gateway and the Gateway then communicates with the AIO battery and EV charger wirelessly?

I am a bit worried if need to bring a LAN cable out to the car charger because the installer has already fitted it outside.

Your guidance would be appreciated…

Three I believe.

The gateway and AIO both need a LAN connection (or WiFi but ethernet is much better).

The two are also connected to each other via their own LAN cable.

And I assume the charger, like all new ones, will also need a connection.

1 Like

Great - thanks for the quick reply - have run 3 so all ready for Monday commissioning.

1 Like

Pretty sure that the RJ45 connection on the Gateway (at least my one) doesn’t function. My installer was told by GE that the port is not enabled. So having run 4 cables into where the unit it - had to go with WiFi.

They probably got the dip switches wrong on the gateway. Presume it needs a power cycle after changing them too.

Yeah, a dip switch error by the installer sounds correct.

The RJ45 on the Gateway DOES work (at least on my Gateway, installed last Sep). Very little traffic passes on it though. It does respond to pings. Mostly traffic goes through the battery unit.

If/when you get the wired connection working make sure the wifi point is made secure. It is not possible to disable it, and by default it is left open and able to access your network.

Hi - post-install update. I ran 3 Cat6 cables and all 3 are connected successfully to the Gateway, Battery and EV Charger. DIP switches do need to be set accordingly.

Will look in to the WiFi aspect to see if they are still broadcasting and seek to disable.

FWIW, the EV Charger is in configuration mode C.

2 Likes

That is very interesting - could some kind soul please post a link to where I can find the dip switch settings - many thanks in advance.

If you Google “Givenergy aio installation manual” then you’ll get to a link like this.

On page 8 or so is the dip switch settings.

Thank you PianSom - apologies, only had this kit a few weeks and finding my way around.

As I understand it, the Gateway needs an internet connection and is better off using ethernet, rather than Wifi. The AIO and the Gateway then communicate via their own Wifi ?

If this is true - then would the Gateway Dips be set to LAN to use Cat5 ethernet - and the AIO Dips be set to WiFi?
Or do the Dips only control the Gateway/AIO comms?

Thanks in advance

No worries.

Not quite - both the AIO and the Gateway expect to have their own individual internet connections. By default, they use wifi. They can both use wired, and - if, like me, you choose to use wired for stability/reliability reasons - then as well as each unit having an rj45 connection each has to have its own dip switches set appropriately.

In addition, an installation requirement is that the AIO and Gateway are connected by another rj45 cable. This - and not wifi - is used for comms between them.

OK - so given that I ran 4 Cat5 cables out to where the Gateway and AIO are - the installer only used one into the Gateway, couldn’t get a connection on it and said “let’s use WiFi”.

So instead I have a TP-Link Wifi Extender hung off one of the Cat5, creating it’s own little WiFi network.

Given no attempt to connect a cable into the AIO or another between them, suggests a wired connection was always doomed?

I ran cat6 FTP cable to the EV charger (WiFi sucks outside due to coil lines plasterboard) and the AIO. I’ve not run any to the gateway as it’s currently connected to an AP in the same cupboard. You do need to flip the jumpers, and you’ll need to login to the web interface if the device (AIO and gateway) to flip it from being a client (WiFi) to server, disable it’s built in DHCP server (otherwise it will give out DHCP leases in a 10.x.x.x range), and setup security on the access point it then provides.

The EVC is flipped from WiFi to LAN using the mobile app.

The instructions for the EVC and jumpers are in the installation manuals, but you may need coffee to figure it out.

I think the dip switch positions may be different on different devices, read it somewhere. Can’t remember which ones, but guessing it’s the AIO and gateway as I can’t think of anything else that comes in pairs.

So that might be part of the confusion.

And I think you’re best to power down, change the switches and then power up the devices.

But I’m not an installer, so what do I know eh! Only through reading various forum posts. :rofl:

I didn’t set mine - the installer did, but you are right… the battery needs DIP switch 1 off, the other 3 on but the gateway needs DIP switch 4 off and the other 3 on.

1 Like